Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Resolution



res⋅o⋅lu⋅tion 
a resolve or determination: to make a firm resolution to do something.


the act of resolving or determining upon an action or course of action, method, procedure, etc.


the mental state or quality of being resolved or resolute; firmness of purpose.



So I'm sure by now you've made yours. Maybe you don't. Ok, you're a rebel. But are you really? It's difficult for me to believe people when they say that they don't make New Year's resolutions. I remember being a small child and overhearing my dad tell a family friend a few of his resolutions. I was in awe. I don't really know why except maybe then I thought he had nothing he really needed to change about himself. But I think change is healthy and good and sometimes fun. And yet, change almost always scares the hell out of me.


That being said, I have resolved to post on a more regular basis. I looked at my blog tonight and realized it has been quite sometime since I last shared my thoughts. Almost 4 months! So much has happened in that time that I feel I should catch you up to date. After all, my life is quite entertaining.

My sister and I bought my mother a cruise for her 50th birthday. We leave in April. We are really excited and are desperate to get into our cruise worthy bodies. Drastic measures must be taken, but I'm up for the challenge.


I found out that my closest friend is pregnant. She is going to be, and in all fairness already is, an amazing mother. Congratulations!


I started selling Avon. I haven't done as well as I had hoped, but I haven't been trying as hard as I should either. I signed up right around Thanksgiving, so I let myself kind of learn the ropes during the holidays. Time to get serious now. If you are interested you can go to www.youravon.com/bmattice


I spent 4 glorious days with my sister at her home in Auburn, AL during Thanksgiving. We made all the food from scratch. She made the turkey and dressing. It was delicious. It was stressful and fun. I was surprised and elated when she agreed to get up at 3:30 in the morning on Black Friday to go shopping. That was my first Black Friday experience. It was so much fun. I hope it is a new tradition with us.




I celebrated Remle's 2nd birthday with a Sesame Street party. My mother, sister and I made the 3 tier cake. I will probably never do that again. It was absolute insanity. I also learned that some people have very loose opinions about how to behave at a child's birthday party. Evidently some mothers feel it is perfectly fine for their child to rip open the birthday girl's gifts before she has even laid a hand on them. I think she should open her gifts after everyone has gone home. My mother thinks this is rude. I have decided that the gifts our guests brought can be opened during the party and the family gifts can be opened in a calmer setting. Who knew there would be such drama?




I attended the funeral of my closest friend's grandfather. I felt such pain for her. I still do.


I made it through the 1st Christmas without my papaw. I will surely dedicate several future posts to my grandparents. It was excruciatingly painful and I found it difficult to enjoy Remle and Daily's day.


I placed membership at a new congregation. Friendship Church of Christ is an amazing church and I encourage all of you to visit. http://www.fscoc.org/


I made friends with a girl at my new church home. She is a stay at home mom of a 7 month old girl and a 4 year old boy. We try to get together once a week or so. She has helped me with the loneliness.


I rang in the New Year with the Riverkings. A family from church went to the game with me and then stayed with the girls while I went out for awhile. Honestly, I wish I had stayed home and celebrated with them. Y'all are a fun bunch! Thanks a million.


I made several resolutions. (more on those in the future)


I found that I am very busy now. The girls of course are as wild as ever. They are constantly tackling each other and narrowly missing a sharp object here and there. I try to balance time with them and housework. I find myself letting the housework slip a little. It's a losing battle, but I'm enjoying the time I spend just playing with the girls.


In this last week, with the help of several people, I have started to put together a cradle roll, or Bible class for the infants at church. I'm really excited about this. I hope this is a successful contribution I am making. I love being involved.


I have a friend who recently had a baby boy (recent as in like 3 months ago.) She also has 2 older children and a full time job and a husband. She still manages to keep up with her blog. And her body looks like she never suffered the trials of birthing a baby. She is one of my inspirations.


So while I'm sure I've left some stuff out, it's a good synopsis of what I have been doing with my time. I love this outlet I have. I know that I would be able to resolve some things going on in this head of mine if I used it more often.


So prepare to hear about the changes I'm making. I can't promise you that they will all be entertaining or enlightening. But I can promise that they will be honest.


above-board, authentic, bona fide*, conscientious, decent, direct, equitable, ethical, fair, fair and square, forthright, frank, genuine, high-minded*, honorable, impartial, ingenuous, just, law-abiding, lay it on the line, like it is, no lie, on the level*, on the up and up, open, outright, plain, proper, real, reliable, reputable, scrupulous, sincere, straight, straightforward, true, true blue, trustworthy, trusty, undisguised, unfeigned, upfront, upright, veracious, virtuous, what you see is what you get


So now you know at least one of my resolutions. To be more honest with myself.

What have you resolved to do?

No comments: